Khon Kaen University conserves the gracious culture and arts under the spread of Covid-19 in the 2020 Loi Krathong Tradition of Khon Kaen University, which will be held on Saturday October 31, 2020 at Si Than Lake, Khon Kaen University. The festival features food offering to monks, the Relics Containment Ceremony of Maha Buddhachai Mangala Pisek Somphot Luang Po Pra Sri, 50th year of KKU and the invitation ceremony of Buddha’s Relics.
7:00 a.m. – KKU people are invited to offer foods to 9 notable monks, who will be praying and sprinkling sacred water for our prosperity
From 16:00 p.m. – watching the floating ceremony of Buddha’s Relics and the beautiful Loi Krathong ceremony of the past.
The Heet Sipsong Khong Sipsee or the twelve-month merit making ceremonies that Thai people perform from generation to generation, from the past until today include the Loi Krathong ceremony, which is held on the 15th waxing moon day, of the 12th month. The common belief in Loi Krathong is to ask for forgiveness from the water and to worship Phra Uppakhut, Phra Orahan believed to spend the Lent period under the ocean. The ritual involves invitation of Phra Uppakhut to the Loi Krathong ceremony. This tradition is carried out both in the central Thailand and in the regions. Each region has its own style of practices and different beliefs. In Isan, people hold Loi Krathong because they believe in worshipping water and asking for forgiveness, which is similar to the central region. Bucha Somma Nam is to shown one is sorry for the bad things done to water, such as by using water in the daily life. Khon Kaen University sees the importance of the tradition and thus schedule the festival every year in order to succeed the good and gracious culture and tradition of Isan. Another aim is to build conscience among the people to be aware of the value of water by asking for forgiveness. The festival this year will emphasize Isan culture and contemporary culture. There will be food offering to monks, containment ceremony of Maha Buddhachai Mangala Pisek Somphot Luang Po Pra Sri, 50th year of KKU and the invitation ceremony of Buddha’s Relics. The festival is scheduled on Saturday September 31, 2020.
“KKU conserves gracious culture and arts under the Covid-19 pandemic”
Khon Kaen University – Loi Krathong 2020
Saturday September 31, 2020 at Art and Cultural Building (Si Than Lake), Khon Kaen University
Food Offering to Monks
06:00 a.m. – KKU administrators, officers, students and the public arrive at the road in front of Buddha Sil Building
07:30 a.m. – Food offering to 9 notable monks on the road in front of Art and Cultural Building
08:00 a.m. – KKU President, who presides over the ceremony, light the joss sticks and candles to worship the Triple Gems and starts the religious ritual
– 9 notable monks prays.
08:30 a.m. – The President offers the four necessities and breakfasts to 9 monks.
09:15 a.m. – Food offerings to monks and the 9 notable monks pray and sprinkle sacred water for goodness and prosperity to attendants.
The Relics Containment Ceremony of Maha Buddhachai Mangala Pisek Somphot Luang Po Pra Sri, 50th year of KKU
16:00 p.m. – The float getting ready on Si Than Road (in front of ATM Box, KKU Golden Jubilee Convention Center)
17:00 p.m. – KKU administrators, staff and students ready to move with the float of The Relics towards Buddhasin Building
18:00 p.m. – The Relics Containment Ceremony
– Invitation of Buddha’s Relics on a white-cloth Busabok
– Chairman of Khon Kaen University Council and the President light the joss sticks, candles and the worship sets.
– Bandit Brahmin (Dr. Yutthapong Matwiset) reads the pronouncement, Buang Suang Bucha Rerk – inviting angels
– Chairman of Khon Kaen University Council and the President place the joss sticks and toss the ritual rice.
– Chairman of Khon Kaen University Council and the President sprinkle water on Buddha’s Relics and pass the Relics to Bandit Brahmin to place in the Luang Po Pra Sri, 50th year of KKU.
18:39 p.m. – Maha Buddhachai Mangala Pisek Somphot
– Phra Maha Therajarn makes a wish, lights the major candle (Chairman of Khon Kaen University Council holds the anoint powder, while the President holds the triggering candle).
– Chairman of Khon Kaen University Council lights the propitious candle, the President lights Vipassee candle.
– 4 Phra Maha Naga pray and light the major candles.
– Phra Maha Therajarn puts out the major candles, tosses flowers and the ritual rice and sprinkles sacred water.
– Offering of the Four Necessities to monks and pouring water to receive the blessings
20:00 p.m. – Somma Bucha Nam Ceremony
– Bandit Brahmin reads the pronouncement for Somma Bucha Nam, paying respect to Nagas from 15 families.
– Somma Bucha Nam dance
– Moving of Krathong to the pier
– The ceremony completed
- The Buddha’s Relics will be on the Busabok in the Buddhasin Building, Art and Cultural Center of Khon Kaen University until November 7, 2020.
- Dress Code: Polite Thai-style dress
[ Thai ]