November 16, 2023 at 10:30 a.m. – Khon Kaen University held the press conference to release news about the 2023 Sithan Festival (Boon Somma Bucha Nak). Among the executives were Miss Taneeya Naipinit, Khon Kaen Vice Governor; Assoc. Prof. Charnchai Panthongviriyakul, M.D., President of Khon Kaen University; Mr. Tada Promsakha Na Sakon Nakhon, Vice President of Khon Kaen Provincial Administrative Organization; Mr. Teerasak Teekayupan, Khon Kaen City Mayor. Attendants included administrative of both governmental and private sectors, allies, lecturers, the public and news correspondents from all channels. The event took place at the Art Gallery, Sithan Lake, Khon Kaen University.
Assoc. Prof. Charnchai Panthongviriyakul, M.D., President of Khon Kaen University explained that Khon Kaen University has the mission to enhance art and culture, in accordance with the creative economy strategy stipulated by Dr. Narongchai Akrasanee, Chairman of Khon Kaen University Council. The strategy includes development of modern art and cultures based on the cultural root as the strength that makes better the implementation. This also corresponds to the governmental policy in supporting Thai cultures as a ‘Soft Power’. The 2023 Sithan Festival, Boon Somma Bucha Nak, is scheduled on November 25-27, 2023. The festival is expected to be the cultural learning resource, an added creative venue for students and the public. It will also nurture the Thai art and culture, simulate tourism and economy at the regional, national and international levels.
Miss Taneeya Naipinit, Khon Kaen Vice Governor added that Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has included Sithan Festival in the Tourism Calendar of Khon Kaen Province. The festival is the pride of Khon Kaen people, for the festival, which has been organized for many years, has truly succeeded Thai art and cultures, provoked provincial economy and is the biggest festival of this kind at the national and international levels. Isan art and cultures are fun, outstanding, and graceful. This event is hosted by Khon Kaen people: students, staff, the public, businessmen, traders, hotel entrepreneurs, police officers, guards, who will welcome visitors to the festival, making Khon Kaen as a “pleasant city to live and an ASEAN city in the future”. It is expected that the event will make the economy boom again.
Mr. Teerasak Teekayupan, Khon Kaen City Mayor said that for this festival, the Provincial Cultural Office will emphasized conveying Thai graceful art and cultures as the soft power to the visitors. The cultural ground will be designed differently but including the identity of local arts. Folk plays and performances and local Mo Lam will also be included. Therefore, it is going to be a big event for people in Isan and other regions to see the grandeur of Isan arts and cultures.
Highlights of KKU Sithan Festival 2023:
November 25-27, 2023 – “Sattha, Maha Sanuk, Pluk Withee Watanatham” – Faith, Great Fun, and Awakening of Cultural Life Styles
Saturday November 25, 2023 – Sattha (Faith)
- Offering of foods to monks
- Invitation of Phra Uppakhut for prosperity and happiness of the people at the beginning of the event, which is the former Isan lifestyle.
- Procession of Buddha Relics
- Official opening of KKU Sithan Festival 2023
- Folk Song Contest
- Mo Lam Performance by Rattanasilp Inta Thai Rat Band
- Pramothai Show by Prakat Samakkee Group
Sunday November 26, 2023 – Maha Sanuk (Great Fun)
- “KKU Carnival”
- Mo Lam Performance by Silpin Phu Thai Band
- Puppet Show by Phet Nong Rua Group
- “E-SAN Ghost Dance and Tube”, Drum Music and Dance, in Thai “Roeng Rabam Phee Isan” showing Isan culture such as Phee Ta Khon Dance form Loei and Phee Khon Nam. Khon Kaen University has created 2-3 new cultural ghosts called Phee Bak Huad and Phee Kab Kaem Nang Hai. The total number of ghosts in the dance show will be over 600 of them.
Monday November 27, 2023 – Pluk Withee Watanatham (Awakening of Cultural Life Styles)
- Beautiful and gracious procession of Krathong showing the Thai and Isan Identity
- Krathong Contest
- Miss Noppamas 2023 Contest
- Mo Lam Performance by Silpin Phu Thai Band
- Light Boats Show in water
- Light Krathong Show in water
- Mo Lam Performance by Sinsai Band
- Miss KKU Angel Contest
Besides, there are activities at the Cultural Lawn called, “Lan Ploen Dern Wattanatham” at the lawn in front of the Art Gallery:
– Creative walking street (In front of Khum Sithan), Krathong Floating at Sithan Lake
– Puppet Show by Nawat Silp Mo Din Daeng Group, Contemporary Puppet Group at Lan Jamjuree behind Lunag Po Phra Sri, Art and Cultural Center
– Light Krathong Show in water and Light Boat Show in water (West and East Sithan Lake)
– Open-air movie (By Sithan west bank)
– Mid Night Art Exhibition (Art Gallery) – all through the 3 days
News: Communications Division, Jiraporn Pratomchai
For more information, visit: https://www.facebook.com/SithanKKUFestival/photos_by?locale=th_TH